BowlingBliss

BowlingBliss

Tuesday, August 30, 2011

MRI

Well, I mentioned in the last post that Bentley was going to have an MRI on the 30th.  Guess what...today is the 30th, and the deed is done.  He has a sacral dimple about his little butt crack, and the MRI was done as precautionary measures.  We really don't think it's a problem, but better safe than sorry.  He was such a big boy, and he did better than we could ever have expected.  Mommy, on the other hand, didn't do so well.  Let's start from the beginning...

His last meal was at 4:45 a.m.  He wasn't allowed to have any milk after 5:00, but he could have had clear liquids (4 oz. or less) up until 9:00.  So, Daddy went to the store to get Pedialyte so Bentley would have something in his belly.  Here's what we learned after lots of trial and error and error and error...
1. Bentley does not like Pedialyte.
2. Bentley does not like 1/2 Pedialyte and 1/2 water.
3. Bentley does not like just water.
4. Bentley does not like diluted apple juice.
5.  All in all, Bentley likes Mommy's milk...period.

So, we had a hungry baby on our hands.  Luckily, he played a while in his gym, took a quick nap (and I mean quick...25 minutes), and then got ready to go.  He only fussed a little right before we left, which was a relief.  We were so afraid he was going to be starving and very upset, but we were pleasantly surprised.  We were on our way to the hospital at 10:25.

Hanging our in the gym...I have to get in my morning workout, no matter what my day has in store for me.
Bentley went to sleep in the car on the way there, and he slept for about 1 hour and 45 minutes before we had to get him out of his car seat.

Snoozing...getting ready for the big test.
Aunt Cyndel met us there, and Uncle Russ got there shortly after.  The nurse came in and explained all that would happen, and she was very sweet.  She said we could let Bentley sleep up until the very last minute before they did the IV.  Yup...IV...and we were told ahead of time that they would apply numbing medicine so it wouldn't be so painful, but the nurse explained that Bentley was too young for the toxins in the numbing medicine, so we were not looking forward to that.  While the IV situation was disturbing, we all thought Bentley was super cute in his hospital gown.

Get me all tied up girls...I don't want the world to see my fanny.

This gown is so silly...I look like a girl! :)
Once the gown was on, it was time.  Daddy and I had to help hold Bentley and try to soothe him through the IV.  I think he dislike being held down as much as the stick itself.  Luckily, the nurse got the IV the very first time, and it was a good thing.  I was crying more than Bentley, but I just felt so bad for him.  As soon as they got his arm all wrapped up and let him go, he stopped crying immediately.  That made me feel a little better.  I don't think he was really hurting, I think he was just scared and mad...really mad.

What in the world just happened to me!?!?  What is this thing on my arm?

Hum...I don't know if I like this or not.

Okay, okay...I guess I'm alright.  Daddy seems to think I am.
Bentley was a happy little camper for the rest of the time until the MRI.  When it was time to start, they let us carry him back into the imaging room, and I got to hold him while they administered the sedation medication.  Bless his heart...they started the medicine, and in about 10 seconds he gave a big loopy smile, and his head fell onto my shoulder...he was out!  This was little disturbing for me because his eyes were still open.  It was a little scary, and he was as limp as a dish rag, so I didn't enjoy this at all.  I laid him on the MRI table, and we kissed him goodnight.  It was hard to leave him as they were giving him oxygen and hooking him up to monitors.  The good part about the anesthesia was that it wasn't general anesthesia, so they didn't have to intibate Bentley.  They simply gave him meds through his IV that put him into a deep, deep sleep so he would lay completely still for the scan.  The MRI took about 35 minutes, and they brought him back to me at about 1:30 to wake up.  He was pitiful.  He couldn't hold his head up, and you tell he didn't feel right.  He wanted to wake up so badly, but he just couldn't.  He would let out a sad cry then fall back asleep.  He did this over and over again until he was awake enough to try and nurse.  It took him a few minutes to figure out what to do, but once he did, he ate pretty good.  Considering he hadn't eaten since 4:45 a.m., I thought he would eat more, but I think he was just too tired.  After about 20 minutes, the nurse took his IV out and he ate a little more.  After another 10 minutes, we were free to go.  So,  he fell asleep at about 2:10 on the way home and slept until about 4:00.

Sleeping so soundly after getting home.  He didn't even make a peep when I moved him from his carseat to his bed.
After waking up and eating a BIG meal, he was back to normal.  All smiles, squealing in delight, and ready to play!

MRI??? What???  That was all a bad dream!

SQUEEEEAAAALLLLL!!!

Here's my new elephant that Aunt Cyndel and Uncle Russ got me today...just in time for Bama Football Season!
All the grandparents came over to visit and see Bentley after his big day.  Mom (Nana Kay), made meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and baked beans for us, and we gobbled it all up.  Bentley pretended he had meatloaf, but he really ate some sweet potatoes and bananas.  Yummy!  (So far, he's only had sweet potatoes, bananas, and apples, but tomorrow we're going to try green beans...we'll see how that goes.)  After lots of playtime with the grandparents, Bentley took a quick evening cat nap before going on a walk before bedtime.

So sweet...all sprawled out!
Today was a roller coaster for us, but we all made it through.  Bentley is fine, and we should find out the results of his scan in the next few days.  Keep him in your prayers!  He is sleeping soundly in his bed, and Mommy and Daddy will be doing the same very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment